Friday, May 14, 2010

The 12th Woman

The 2 main reasons I run

La Familia Eberhardt


My Fellow Ragnarians,


Hello from Oklahoma. Seems as if I’ve been (lovingly) roped into Ragnar again by our intrepid captain Erin. I get one ‘runcation’ a year and I tried to get into St. George. No dice. So as soon as my name was not posted, text messages began to appear… and were happily accepted. See, running with Erin (and Katie and Jenny and y’all) is so much fun! This year will be all about the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good: running with fellow mothers who love their children so much that we leave them in capable hands to run like banshees…all in the name of sanity, peace, relaxation, and above all, motherhood.

The bad: I have had to sell my kidney to fly to be with you. But I did it willingly and it’s so worth it.

The ugly: I had a hysterectomy (long story that I am sure my van will be regaled with…) just a few short weeks ago and have only been ok’d for speedwalking… and my legs read something like ‘this will suck,’ ‘you’ve trained in FLAT Oklahoma for running 3 miles uphill, right?’ and ‘this is just plain sadistic.’ See how excited I am!?! I have been assured by Erin that if by chance my bladder falls out while running up hills, she’ll make sure I get medical attention and a BIG Diet Coke—as long as I finish ALL my legs. What a gal, huh?

Really though, it doesn’t matter how fast I don’t run, or how much the plane ticket is…what matters is the opportunity and ability to do it…and with such a great team! I was in the same van as Jenny O. last year. She is simply amazing. What a can-do, will-do, take no prisoners attitude she has. And, I am a member of the ‘meet at Michele’s at 6:00am on Saturday’ club with Katie and Erin. We all lived in Texas together and stole away some mommy running time each Saturday at the wee hours of the day. I miss that. A lot. And so I get to crunch some running time with my ol’ friends again. And, I get to meet all of y’all. Whoo hoo!

While we are together sweating, laughing, hurting, mountain climbing, and sleeping in funny positions, I will be sorely missed by my husband Dave and my 2 bambinos: Lincoln and Kate. I am sure there will be pizza consumed, movies watched, time at the pool, and other fun distractions while I am away. They are so good to me for allowing me to do this.

I look forward to meeting each of you and getting to know you better. (So, come on folks, start posting your info!)

Happy training,

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. you have the run I did last year, except leg 2 is cut short by 2 miles! lucky you. They actually werent too bad, especially if they cut run 2 down! The second leg was the hardest for me! but also really long, running alone, with a head wind, slightly uphill! But yours looks great being shorter! You will run great! I am excited to have you in my van again! Jenny O.

    ReplyDelete